Monday, June 2, 2014

Spreche Deutsch: On the spot!

Well, I have practiced a lot of German since March. Even in front of my students, I am studying it while they are busy with their class work. Thanks to my German boyfriend who supported me along the way. :)

Just this May 31, a surprising event just turned my brain cells really much functional. I should say, all my nerves are activated that time. What just happened?

Well, the ex-wife of my boyfriend, Claudia, was just chatting me with their 4 1/2 year old daughter, Annika. All German. Pak! Wapak! Just literally like the sounds of the whipping kicks and punches of Bruce Lee in his old movies, I felt my ears are in big boom.

Sweating. Gasping. Sighing.

In an instant, my ever-bitchy attitude and friendly atmosphere, instantly gone off an instant. Well, still, I was trying to maintain my posture and image in front of these people, well, they are just 3 Germans in front of my screen. Really lol.

This is the real-time captured image via Skype during our conversation last May 31, 2014.

There are a lot in my mind during that time. Literally, a lot. 
Even right now, when I come to think of it. It's a lot to tell. 
So, let me first digest them. One by one. 

1. My German speaking skills. 
That was really tested during that time, especially that Annika was there. So, I was really trying my best that they will be able to understand me with my German. Even though, I know I am not yet good at it. But, I did tried to speak their language. 

However, they are real Germans. So, it's just common sense to think that they are speaking their language. So, stupid if they can't. Well, yeah, it's their language. I was afraid that they will laugh at me if I speak it the wrong way. So, I was really careful. 

2. She is the ex-wife. 
The odd feeling of facing the ex of my boyfriend via Skype (just temporarily, next time in person), is really dominant in me during that time. Whoa! I am now facing her. What a chance to see her. The mother of Annika. Cool. 

Getting to know her, is really cool. Apart from the idea that I got to have German friends, she is nice and friendly to me, so I'm really fine with her. 

3.  The presence of Annika. 
She is totally adorable. I really like her. She is really pretty. That is why, I am really astonished whenever I got to see her. And because of that, I chose her to be the wallpaper of the desktop of the laptop now. :)

Her face is making me feel relaxed so that's why, I'm really looking forward to see her. Well, unlike any other stepmothers created by the image of Disney (Cinderella story, etc) I will be nice to her, of course, and treat her as my own child, too. So, my boyfriend, will never have any problems to my relationship to her. Come to think of it, I will be her English teacher for free! hahahaha! :) 

In sum, although that was a bit terrifying experience for me to speak German on the spot. At least, my level of German fluency was tested. Now, I am looking for more experiences with German conversations. Apart from my chunky German convo with my boyfriend now, it's good to meet and to get close to his family and friends through learning their own language apart from speaking English and well, of course, non-Visayan. 

Das ist alles. Tschuss!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment