Thursday, May 1, 2014

Deutsch Lernen: A Self-Help (Introduction)

Hallo, Herr und Frau. Ich bin Mecyll von den Philippinen. Ich bin einundzwanzig Jahre alt. Es freut mich Sie kennenzolernen. Verstanden? Yeah, right now, I am practicing a lot of German stuff today. Well, actually since March, I have been practicing a lot while I was still teaching back then. Right now, I shall say I am doing well. Ich kann das verstehen ein bisschen Deutsch aber noch nicht spreche gut Deutsch, wirklich. Aber, ich muss mehr Deutsch üben. I can understand a little German but I still can't speak German well, really. But, I must practice German more.

I know that learning a new language that is a lot farther than the usual language that you use is really hard to do so, but when we have so-called determination, anything is possible. In my case, it is really difficult to learn German because the mother tongue that I grew up with is really far from the new language I am learning. But, thanks to the English language which I am also used to, it is also a great help for me to link German in some terms. But in terms of its entirety, really, learning German is really hard. Well, with the help of my German boyfriend, learning it is a bit easy for me. Aside from his help, I also have a lot of strategies to learn German on my own and so far, it is really effective. This is a great tool for me to use while I am still not officially enrolled to a formal German coursework recognized by the German government.

In this blog, I wish to give you some tips on how to learn German language on your own.

1. Find some common phrases that you can use as a starter in learning the language. 
When my boyfriend told me that my papers for visa and stuff will be processed if I pass the A1 German exam, I immediately made my first step. Actually, this is a requirement for those non-EU residents to get in to any European country. Since Germany is part of EU, it is deemed a requirement to learn the basics of German language and pass the A1 exam before everything else will be done such as visa requirements and all. For more information, you can search the visa requirements in German embassy in your respective country since each country has their own set of requirements. In my case, Philippines, I need to take A1 since Philippines is a non-German speaking country, so we are really required to take the A1.

Well, I know it's really hard to acquaint to this language but I guess German language has been the most used language all over the world aside from English and French so, learning German is a bit useful since other countries in Europe also speaks German such as some parts of Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein. So, if you learn the language both written and oral, you can find it easy to mingle to other countries also apart from Germany.

Germany

Switzerland

Belgium

Austria

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Anyhow, I started from the basic phrases which are commonly used by the German community. In that way, I can be familiar with the important parts of their language especially their vocabulary and their famous umlauts like ü, ä, ö, and ß. It took me several weeks to familiarize these things. With all headaches, I really thrived to do so. With the help of my German boyfriend, he somehow added some expressions usually heard in their community which is really helpful for me to know.

2. Find some videos online for beginners level in German language. 
This is what I did after familiarizing the whole set of German expressions. I linked myself to the videos posted online so I could really familiar more of the German language especially in terms of listening to how these words are pronounced and used properly. It took me several weeks to focus and study to master a bit of these rules in grammar since I am a bit auditory learner, so I really know that I learn flexibly if I listen to it.

Just a tip in listening to German language online:

a. Be sure that you really listen and not just hear it.
This means that it is not enough to listen to it once. You can recall how it is pronounced but you also have to use it. I murmur all the time in the house recalling all the words and try to apply them based from what I have understood. It's really difficult and really made me a headache but it's worth the try.

b. Take down notes.
It's not enough to listen but rather take notes. We are not Einstein nor Liebniz, so we are not geniuses. Thus, we really need to record all the words including their pronunciations to aid us upon recalling, studying German. This is what I am using, DeutschOnlineLernen. You can browse the videos in different lessons. For best outcome, follow the videos in order since the videos are arranged according to difficulty.


3. Find some downloadable German beginner's coursework A1 level online. 
This is your next step. Right now, I am still in the middle of mastering German. So, I still don't have the perfect fluent German. But according to my German boyfriend, I am doing so good, so far. That means, I really have effective strategies. So, what I did is, I searched some PDF coursework A1 and printed them since I learn more kinesthetically. That means, I learn faster if I take down notes or mark something on the sheets of paper with my pen. So, I printed them out and study. But, you also have the option to learn it through laptop or just mere softcopy of the file.

So this is the file I personally use:
Basic German: A Grammar and Workbook (H. Schenke & K. Seago, 2004)

Well, learning German depends on your personal strategy. You can download the file and print or you can just learn it through the softcopy itself. So, it's your own discretion on how you really do it.

4. Watch German media i.e. films, shows, songs, etc. 
Using media as one of my partners in learning German is really helpful for me since in this way, I could be able to use the things I learned so far in German. But of course, this will not be a good idea if you are still acquainting with the language. You need to take step-by-step procedures as I have shown here. These strategies are really in order since learning German needs a lot of step-by-step process. Anyway, these media will show you how the actual conversations in German sounds like and even how they arrange the words in songs and actual conversations. Right now, I somehow got used to the language because I really see these everyday and I really listened to German songs several times and if not, I watch German films. These will really help you out in learning German.

5. Find a German friend/boyfriend/girlfriend. 
 Others see this as a great tool as a form of support to the learning system towards German language mastery. So, having set of German friends or even non-German natives but speaks German well, that is a good thing to have. With my experience, my boyfriend helps me a lot in terms of the vocabulary and correcting me in my speaking skills and as well as the grammar. It is really tough but as I get used to it, it's really good. I find it easier to master the language with his help since he is really a German native both resident and speaker. So, aside the from the language, I can also acquaint to the culture and society as well which is also an important thing that you should consider upon learning German language. You should also consider the culture and how they come up with that kind of communication they have. That helps, really.

6. Enroll to a recognized language institute.
This will be you last pursuit. Before you enter this part, at least, if you follow my steps from the first to the fifth, entering the institute offering German language courses will be less difficult to you. It will just be a sort of a review of the lessons you have undergone from your self-help learning. So, this endeavor is helpful especially to those people who wanted to be recognized as an individual having basic knowledge to German language through the examination duly acknowledged by the German government. We all have specific areas where we could learn forma instruction in German but the exam should be officially-recognized. In my country, Philippines, we are obliged to take the examination offered by the Goethe Institut which is located in Manila. So, you may search the said institution since each country has their set of instructions specifically as required per country, as I said earlier.

Author's Notes:

So weit, ich lerne gut Deutsch obwohl noch muss mehr Deutsch üben weil es ist so schwer. Also, heute, ich wirklich lerne mehr und mehr in deutscher Sprache. Aber, ich kann das verstehen ein bisschen Deutsch aber ich weiß dass in weitere Jahre zu kommen, kann ich sprechen und schreiben  fließend Deutsch. So far, I am learning good German although I still must practice more German since it is hard. So, today, I really need to learn more and more in German language. But, I can understand a little German but I know that in more years to come, I can speak and write fluent German.

Well, learning German is really tough. But, it's worth the try. As they say, "No pain, no gain" and I guess that is really applicable to this situation. So, my last advice to people who wish to learn German and still learning it, just keep your determination and drive to learn and to master the language because the effort is nothing if you, yourself is not persevere in learning it. It's requiring us a lot of toughness and heart to be a successful German communicator. Right this moment, I am still learning German around 2 months and counting. Das ist es! Tschüss! 

Disclaimer:
These strategies are personal view so you have your own set of strategy to use. I just share what I really do as of the moment. So, you don't need to follow strictly each step. It's your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment